Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Thing 15 Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 Unanswered questions

Web 2.0 has certainly arrived and many people are using it. I'm not sure that I want to spend large chunks of my time using it. I would prefer seeing and talking to those I know than strangers who may not even be those they say they are. I can see some value in some of the blogs, especially when I know who created them. One thing I learned of value about Web 1.0 is that I want to know who created the information and when did they last update it. In many of the articles in wikipedia I have no idea who created them and therefore am hesitant to rely on the information they present.

Input from customers has value but if we reach the point that we are concerned by the customer's input we diminish our own standing. This buy into the argument that everything is available on the Internet for free. As librarians we know this is false. As long as there are commercial enterprises and copyright Web 2.0 will never provide everything for free.

No comments: